PLANT PROTECTION SECTION
- Does research activities in the control of plant diseases, ( Phytopathology) and insect pests (Entomology).
1. Backstop breeding in the development of crop varieties resistant to diseases and insect pests.
2. Evaluation of botanical and new industrial pesticides for management of main crop pests and diseases.
3. Diagnostic and development of control measures for new crop pests and disease outbreaks.
4. Development of Integrated management options for main crop pests and diseases (IPDM).
5. Dissemination of integrated disease management technologies and trainning of farmers and extension personnel.
Major areas of research in the programme.
1. Screening of segregating populations , germplasm and elite varieties for multiple disease s and pests resistance (Beans, maize, rice, ) in field and store.
2. Evaluation of botanical pesticides and fungicides for management of bean stem maggot, bean bruchids and foliar diseases respectively .
3. Study population structure of major rice disease pathogens in Tanzania (Rice blast, bacterial leaf blight, brown leaf spot).
4. Evaluation of IPDM options and packages for Cocoa , bananas, beans, rice, wheat .
5. Epidemiology and management of Rice yellow mottle virus disease in the Southern highlands of
STAFF IN THE PROGRAMME:
1. Frederica M. Shao-Mwalyego - ( Msc. Agric.) – Pathologist.
2. David Kabungo - (Bsc. Zoology) – Entomologist
3. Reinfrid Maganga - (Msc. Student) – Pathology.
4. Lebai Nsemwa - ( Msc . Agric.)-Retired officer on contract .
5. Maria Gabba - (Agricultural Field Officer)- Entomology
6. Bonifasi Matovello - (Agricultural Field Officer)
7. Exon Mwambene - ( Agricultural field assistant)